Saturday, May 25, 2013

Solar car progress report number 6!

I've finished my first prototype. It consisted of a chassis made out of balsa wood, four wooden wheels, two 3'16 wooden inch dowels for axles, eight rubber stoppers for hubs, and straw for the bearings. The hubs were placed on, one on both sides of each wheel to hold it in place. On the left side of each axle there was one gear placed before the wheel. The motor was attached to a gear and the solar panel was placed in the center of the chassis. The prototype ended up failing before I even had a chance to test it. The wheels were too heavy for the solar panel to power. It caused too much friction. Therefore, for prototype two, which I'm currently building, I'm using CD's for the wheels. I'm testing out CD wheels because although the pavement of the court yard is bumpy, there's a slight chance it may work. As they say, you'll never know unless you try. I've also started my design report and completed whatever I was able to do. As I make changes, I'll update my design report steadily Below is a picture of my first prototype, which was unable to be photographed because I forgot. Therefore, I depicted it by a sketch. However, the rest of my prototypes will be photographed.


Link to design report (in progress)

No comments:

Post a Comment