Sunday, June 2, 2013

Solar car progress report number 7!

Our solar cars must be completed in a few days. I've been able to complete my third prototype. I've already talked about my first prototype in my previous entry, therefore I won't spend time explaining it again. My second prototype is made out of balsa wood. It consists of two 3'16 wooden inch dowels for the axles, four CD's for the wheels, four rubber stoppers for the hubs, and two straws for bearings. This prototype ended up failing because when I tested it out I found the wheels were still unable to move. They were too heavy and caused too much friction. Therefore, I decided to make my prototype using gears. I used four gears, all of the same size. I found that this worked better. For the two front wheels I decided to use two gears on each side and for the back wheels, one gear on each side. I tested it out and although it worked, it was still too heavy, since the solar panel doesn't conduct enough energy. Therefore, for the fourth prototype I decided to only use two wheels in the front and two wheels in the back. I found that the motor has to be connected carefully or else it won't allow the wheels to spin properly. I also realized putting duct tape on the connectors, causes issues with the conduction.
Link to design report- (In progress)

No comments:

Post a Comment